Canada’s Express Entry and Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) offer multiple pathways for skilled immigrants to become permanent residents. For those looking to settle in Ontario, one of the country’s most populous and economically vibrant provinces, understanding how these programs work is essential. In this blog, we’ll explore Express Entry and the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP), a popular PNP in Ontario, to help you navigate the immigration process.
Express Entry: A Quick Overview
Express Entry is a federal immigration system that manages applications for three of Canada’s main economic immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
The system uses a points-based Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to assess candidates based on factors such as age, education, work experience, language proficiency, and adaptability. Those with the highest CRS scores receive Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residency in regular Express Entry draws.
Express Entry and Ontario
Ontario, being a highly desirable destination for immigrants, actively participates in Express Entry by nominating candidates from the Express Entry pool. These candidates receive additional points (600 points) for their provincial nomination, significantly boosting their CRS scores and increasing their chances of receiving an ITA.
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP): Your Gateway to Ontario
The OINP is Ontario’s PNP, which allows the province to nominate individuals for permanent residence based on its specific economic and labor market needs. It offers various streams and categories to cater to different types of candidates:
- Human Capital Category:
- Ontario Express Entry: This stream targets candidates in the Express Entry pool who have relevant work experience, education, and language proficiency. Successful candidates receive a provincial nomination.
- Masters Graduate and PhD Graduate streams: These streams are for international students who have completed a master’s or PhD program in Ontario.
- Employer Job Offer Category:
- Foreign Worker stream: For candidates with a job offer in Ontario in a skilled occupation.
- International Student stream: For international students with a job offer in Ontario.
- In-Demand Skills stream: Targets candidates with specific skills and work experience in certain in-demand occupations.
- Business Category:
- Entrepreneur stream: For individuals looking to start or buy an existing business in Ontario.
- Corporate stream: For established foreign corporations looking to expand into Ontario.
How Does the Process Work?
Here’s a simplified overview of how Express Entry and the OINP work together:
- Create an Express Entry Profile: Begin by creating an Express Entry profile and entering the Express Entry pool, where you’ll be assessed using the CRS.
- Check Eligibility for OINP Streams: Review the OINP streams to determine if you meet the criteria for any of the available categories.
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI): If eligible, submit an EOI for the relevant OINP stream. Successful candidates receive a Notification of Interest (NOI) from Ontario.
- Accept the Nomination: Once you receive an NOI and accept the provincial nomination, you’ll be awarded 600 additional CRS points, effectively guaranteeing you an ITA in the next Express Entry draw.
- Apply for Permanent Residency: After receiving an ITA, you can submit your application for permanent residency to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Why Choose Ontario?
Ontario, with its vibrant cities like Toronto, offers a high quality of life, excellent healthcare, education, and diverse job opportunities. The province’s strong economy and welcoming communities make it an ideal destination for immigrants seeking a better future.
The combination of Express Entry and the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program offers a streamlined path to permanent residency for skilled immigrants wishing to settle in Ontario. By understanding these programs and seeking professional guidance, you can enhance your chances of making Ontario your new home and enjoying the countless opportunities it offers.
If you are considering emigrating to Ontario, the experienced immigration lawyers at Mikhailitchenko Law can help guide you through the process.