What is a Temporary Resident’s Visa?

Canada attracts more than 35 million visitors from around the world annually. Depending on where you are from however, you may need a temporary resident’s visa – also known as a visitor’s visa – to enter the country.

A temporary resident’s visa (TRV) is a stamp that goes into your passport in order to demonstrate that you have met the minimum requirements necessary to enter the country as a visitor, worker, or student. The TRV does not guarantee entry however as the admission of foreign nationals into Canada is not a right but a privilege.

Eligibility Requirements

To obtain the TRV, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Must be able to satisfy Canadian immigration officials that you will leave the country at the end of your stay.
  • Demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members while you are in Canada.
  • Show that you do not intend to work or study in Canada without authorization.
  • Not be a security risk.
  • Be in good health.
  • Have ties to your home country such as a job, financial assets, and/or family.

You may also require:

  • A medical exam if you are staying in Canada for six months or longer.
  • An invitation from someone who lives in Canada.

Work Permits

If you are coming to Canada to work, in addition to the TRV, you will also require a work permit. There are two types of work permits including open permits and employer specific permits.

Open Work Permits

You are eligible to apply for an open work permit if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You are an international student or graduate from a designated institution.
  • You have applied for permanent residence in Canada or you are a dependent family member of someone who has.
  • You are the spouse or common law partner of an international student or foreign skilled worker.
  • You are the spouse of common law partner of an individual in the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.
  • You are a refugee or refugee claimant or their family member.
  • You are a worker who is participating in a special program.

Employer Specific Work Permits

In the case where a Canadian employer has recruited a foreign national, the employer must submit their offer of employment directly to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Work permits must include the name and location of the employer and the length of time that the employment will be.

Do I need an immigration lawyer?

Hiring an immigration lawyer to assist you with your TRV application can help guarantee that all of your forms and information are submitted in a complete and timely manner. This can help avoid delays and improve your chances of being approved.

Since the IRCC cannot discuss your case with any third party without your permission, you must fill out a Use of a Representative form and Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual. Your immigration lawyer can help you with both of these.

These forms will allow your lawyer to advocate for you with immigration officials.

Contact us today.

If you are planning a visit to Canada and would like help applying for a temporary resident’s visa, we can help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration lawyers.