USA Immigration

We are pleased to announce the establishment of the United States Immigration Law Practice Group at the Mikhailitchenko Law Firm

In collaboration with our U.S. colleagues, we will now provide the following U.S. Immigration Legal Services to our Canadian clients: Fiancé Visas, Green Cards Based on Marriage, Employment-Based Green Cards, Work Visas (TN-1 and H-1B) , Investor’s Visas ( E-2 and EB-5), Citizenship and Family-Based Immigration.

When you need a lawyer to represent you or your business in matters of U.S. immigration law you need someone who is empathetic, knowledgeable and able to effectively advocate for you. With more than 15 years of experience in the areas of immigration law and hundreds of successful cases, law office of attorney Svetlana Kats in collaboration with our Canadian team will work with you, your employer, or your family members until successful completion of your case.

Employment Visas

Permanent Residency in the US through employment

Family Immigration

Employment Visas

TN-1 Visa for Canadian citizens

TN-1 Visa is an excellent option for Canadian citizens seeking to live and work in the United States. The TN-1 visa classification is only available to Canadians and Mexicans and permits Canadian and Mexican nationals to work in the U.S. in one of the qualified under the TN-1 category occupations.  Our attorneys will work with you and your employer in preparing appropriate TN-1 package and will help you to avoid common mistakes that lead to denials. Specifically, we will advise you on how to establish nonimmigrant intent to the satisfaction of the immigration officer. We will help you to select an appropriate occupation based on your education and prior work experience. In addition, we will assist in preparing Employer Letter that makes it clear that you are going to be employed in one of the occupational areas that appear on the TN-1 Schedule of Occupations.

For complete information on TN-1 Visa please go to TN-1 Visa page.

H-1B Employment Based Visa

If  you are not a Canadian or Mexican citizen seeking to live and work in the United States, the H-1B visa may be a good option for you. Our experienced attorneys will work with you and your employer in collecting all necessary documents to prepare approvable H-1B petition. In addition, we can assist you in planning a long-term immigration strategy that could allow you to apply for a green card later. If you are already in the U.S and nearing your H-1B maximum stay of six years, our attorneys will examine your records in order to advise you on whether or not you are subject to exceptions which would allow H-1B holders to extend their status past six years.

For complete information on H-1B Visa please go to our H-1B page.

E2/E-1 Visa for Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors

E-2 Treaty Investor Visa permits citizens of certain Countries ( including Canada) to reside in the United States through an investment in the U.S. The investor must come to manage or oversee the investment. 

Who is eligible: Owner of the enterprise in the U.S. from a treaty country that has 50% or more ownership in a substantial U.S. business.
Amount of the investment: The investment capital and reserves should total at least $100,000 – $200,000 and the applicant must be prepared to demonstrate/project that the business will employ at least 3 – 4 persons. 
Validity period: The E2 visa is typically issued for two- or five-year periods. 
The E2 can be renewed indefinitely as long as the investor is running the business and it generates “more than enough revenue” to support the investor’s family. 
Who typically uses the E2 Investor Visa? 
People who want to purchase a franchise or small business in the USA and temporary live in the U.S.

Family members: The E2 visa also covers the investor’s spouse and children under age 21.
Applying for an E2 visa is a complex process. As with any visa application there is no replacement for practical experience when filing E-2 visa.

Our immigration attorneys can assist you with every step of the process, including creating or purchasing a company, one of the requirements for the visa, and ensuring that all of the required documents are collected and sent with the application. If you don’t have particular business in mind and looking to purchase business in the U.S., we are working closely and will connect you with the national business brokerage firm with offices located throughout the United States.

For complete information on E-2/E-1 Visa please go to our E-2/E-1 Visa page.

L-1 Intercompany Transfer Visa

The L1 visa allows Canadian employers to transfer their executives, managers or special knowledge specialists to the U.S. branch, subsidiary, affiliate or joint venture in order to manage U.S. organization or a major function or division of such U.S. an organization. In recent years however, the U.S. immigration officials have been much stricter in scrutinizing the evidence related to intercompany transfer-L-1 visa. Out attorneys will guide you every step of the way in identifying and gathering the documents and evidence according to L-1 visa program’s specific requirements.

For complete information on L-1 Visa please go to our L-1 Visa page.

O-1 Visa for people with extraordinary ability

If you are an individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or sport, O-1 Visa may be a right option for you. Our attorneys have specific experience in collecting documents showing extraordinary ability of the person and can help you avoid unnecessary obstacles throughout the application prices. In addition, our  O-1 visa lawyers can assist you in planning a long-term immigration strategy that could allow you to apply for a green card status if you decide to reside permanently in the United States.

For complete information on O-1 Visa please go to our O-1 Visa page.

R Visa

If you are filing a R-1 visa petition for religious worker, we can help. Our immigration lawyers are highly experienced and have successfully prepared and obtained approval for numerous R-1 visa petitions. We will guide you through this complex immigration process and help find and resolve any issues that may only be apparent to an experienced immigration lawyer.

For complete information on R Visa please go to our R Visa page.

Green Card (Permanent Residency) in the US Through Employment

If you wish to establish lawful permanent residence in the U.S., but do not have immediate relatives in the United States, you may do so on the basis of employment opportunity. If you have a potential employer who wishes to permanently employ you and sponsor you for green card, please talk to our experienced immigration lawyer. Our immigration lawyers have years of experience helping qualified individuals immigrate to the U.S. through their employment. We take care of the entire process from matching your qualifications to the right occupation to filing your petition and making sure that all obstacles are handled professionally.

For complete information please go to our Green Cards Through Employment page

Family Immigration


Unlimited immigration is available to the immediate family member of a U.S. Citizen. This includes the spouse, parent (if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21) and unmarried or widowed children under 21. Immediate relatives have special immigration priority and do not have to wait in line for a visa number to become available for them to immigrate because there are an unlimited number of visas for their particular categories. The Law Office of Svetlana Kats helped countless families to reunite and hundreds of couples to obtain green cards and work permits through marriage. We are skilled and experienced in all aspects of the family based and marriage-based immigration process. With the assistance of a knowledgeable immigration lawyer, you can avoid delays and ensure that your case is well-documented and successful. At the Law Office of Svetlana Kats we are ready to take responsibility for every step of the family based and marriage-based immigration process, from completing the forms and compiling documents and evidence, to preparing you and accompanying you to the final immigration interview.

For complete information please go to our Family Immigration page.

Copyright © 2022 Mikhailitchenko Law Firm | Personal Injury Law | All rights reserved